Monday, June 7, 2010

Church Supper Broccoli Salad

This weekend we picked our first few items from the garden. Potatoes, onions, and broccoli are ready to eat. What do you do with two fresh heads of broccoli? You make a wonderful salad with a few ingredients.

This recipe comes from a cookbook entitled, "Dining at the Whistle Stop, Kentucky Recipes & Reflections". The Whistle Stop is a restaurant located in Glendale, Kentucky and features excellent regional fare. Located next to railroad tracks, the restaurant is famous in our area for its charm and food. The following recipe is just one example of the home cooked recipes.

In a large bowl combine:

1 head of broccoli
1 head of cauliflower
1 cup raisins (I omitted this, due to the chiclets.)
1/4 cup diced red onion
10 strips of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1 cup shelled sunflower seeds

Separate the broccoli and cauliflower into florets. Combine all ingredients and mix well.



In a separate bowl mix together 4 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 cup mayo, and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Mix for a couple of minutes until the mixture begins to thin a bit.




Pour over the broccoli mix and stir well to combine. Refrigerate for at least two hours to allow the flavors the blend.



Enjoy


4 comments:

  1. I used to make this exact salad for many a church supper! Haven't made it in ages. Thanks for the reminder. mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I will be copying it down. I will eat it, but my Captain and Boo will not touch the "little trees". They don't know what they are missing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first visit to your blog and I will be coming back again and again. I loved it! I am new to blogging and yours is just wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete