Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The World Equestrian Games

This past weekend Secret Agent Man and I were privileged to be invited to the World Equestrian Games being held in Lexington. Our state is known, around the world, for the fabulous horse breeding, farms, and of course, the Kentucky Derby.


Our group rallied at the University of Kentucky's research farm for a luncheon and the opportunity to watch the endurance race that was being held that day.


The horse endurance race is comprised of 100 miles and extensive vet checks, for the horse, throughout the course. The horses featured in the race were of Arabian breeding. Not only were we able to view the horses in real time, but the riders wore a global positioning device, enabling the spectators to view their progress on screens placed throughout the horse park.


The finish time is a consideration, but the horses must pass through a series of vet checks during the course of the race. The horses must be able to slow their heart rate, remain strong without injury/lameness, and maintain a positive metabolic rate.





The individual winner of the race was Maria Alvarez Ponton of Spain. She completed the 100 mile course with a time of 7 hours, 35 minutes, and 44 seconds. Her horse completed the course and passed through the rigorous standards to win.



Even more impressive is that Ms. Ponton delivered a baby just a mere seven weeks before this event.


GIRL POWER!



Starting at 7:30 in the morning, the race lasted 11 hours, including the mandatory rest periods.




It is estimated that only about 40 percent of the horses entered actually complete a world endurance event, due to the strict standards for the horses.


Many events are being held at the horse park during the games. If you would like to read more about the games, the competitors, or the horses, you can do so here.


21 comments:

  1. Amazing and very interesting!Who would have guessed the horses went through all of that.Lexington is a beautiful place just in passing. I can' imagine living there. The horses, the beautiful rolling neatly mowed fields with all the wonderful fences.I love passing through there. I'd love to go again, and what about the castle. What's going on with it these days. Is it functional, or has it turned into a ghost castle?I've lost track of any mention of it since I hardly ever go in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet that was a fun and interesting weekend.
    I'm glad to see that they are strict with the horse care.
    That's a hard race for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I don't know much about horses and shows like this one. We are usually in a hell-bent-for-election mode when we drive through Kentucky to get some place warmer fast! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky for you and SAM to be invited to the inner circles like that... and it's obvious you enjoyed it!

    Horses are such majestic animals; I always marvel at the smallness and delicate legs of the Arabians who are so fast and have such stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had not idea of this event...a great for horse and rider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't dare let my daughter see the computer screen with this post, or it would have been all over for me! The screen would have been whisked away and I'd be waiting for my "turn". It looks like a fun event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you well enjoy and have fun! Very nice photos and interesting article! bye !! :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looked like a very interesting day. I have always loved horses myself...when I was a girl, my aunt was in rodeos in Minnesota and we would go watch her and her horse do tricks...that gave me a great love and respect for horses. Once I was old enough, my parents bought us a quarter horse which we kept on a little ranch down the road from us...oh, you brought back some wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the second blogger I know to have attended the games. I love the photos. I grew up around horses and your photos stirred up some really wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My but that was a long race!

    I haven't been to Lexington--or to Kentucky--in years. The last time was to an American Atheist Convention there in Lexington. The time before that was when I accompanied a preacher who was preaching a revival near Bowling Green. You might say that I get around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sawn - The castle burned (partially) a few years ago and has undergone some reconstruction. We passed it on our way through Lexington. A beautiful structure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great event. Such beautiful horses too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Farmchick!
    Two weeks ago on Meet Me on Monday, you mentioned that you were interested in my White Lasagna recipe. It is on my blog this evening.
    Thanks, Patrice
    www.everydayruralty.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. A 100 miles horse race in the wild and the winner is a young new mom from Spain. You surprised me twice with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have read a article about the games today in our newspaper, I don`t know if these are the same games you visited, but it was in lexington and we (I`m from germany) have made the third place. this was the first time that we don`t won gold since 1970.
    what a pity :-)

    bye and have a nice day


    I like your blog and have a look every (second)day

    ReplyDelete
  16. How interesting! I have never heard of such a race.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a new follower - Please follow me back. For every follower that joins I will be releasing a Unicorn back into the wilds of the New Jersey boardwalk. So please do your part by joining and saving these special creatures. Thanks
    Thanks, Mr. Monkey

    http://laughingmonkeystick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that looks like so much fun! Those horses are gorgeous! I've never been there but think it would be a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely look at small town life! So glad I stopped by. I'll be sure to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like an interesting event to see in beautiful surroundings! A 7 plus hour endurance race sounds so strenuous so I'm glad a vet keeps checking those exquisite horses. Congrats to the new mother that won! She must be an expert rider.

    ReplyDelete