Friday, March 11, 2011

Random Ramblings

This week has been a blur of activity in our household. With the arrival of spring comes ball and trap shooting practice. The adjective, busy, would currently be an understatement for us. So much like this past week, this post is a bit crazy. Sort of a miss-mash of what's up on the farm.

The following picture is one I dug out of my archives while searching for something to submit for a photography contest. Why these yellow butterflies loved this old baseball is a mystery, but I love how vibrant they look against the drab background.


Yet another found photo of Mr. Praying Mantis.



And here we have a Passion Flower that I had totally forgotten existed in my files. I found this while out walking on the farm one day. Seriously. There was only one flower in a mixed hedge of Blackberry Brambles and thorny tree limbs. I have been back to its location, but haven't witnessed another blossom like this.



During the occasional free moment my family has been checking out the Eagles, Liberty and Belle. They are on a nest in West Virginia and their two eggs are set to hatch any day now. It is a live camera feed and thus far I have witnessed the mom and dad trade nest duties. Also, the male brought the mom a snack. Yes....I watched her eat the mouse. Educational, if nothing else. If you would like to watch Liberty and Belle, you can do so here.

I have had several people tag me with awards and meme's in the last month. I confess that I am not very good about posting those, though I very much appreciate the recognition. So, in an overall response I shall not bore any of you with details about myself, but I shall leave you with a list of my all time favorite books. I would love to hear what yours might be.

The Alchemist

The Poisonwood Bible

Cold Mountain

Thirteen Moons

Animal, Vegetable Mineral

The Scarlet Letter

The Widow of the South

Prodigal Summer


A huge thanks to all of those who take the time to leave a comment here. I read each one and enjoy them immensely.

Oh....and one more thing. Why does Blogger either leave too many spaces between my paragraphs or no spaces at all?

32 comments:

  1. Blogger has been a very fickle friend (fiend?) lately. Terrible fits and starts and skips and errors.

    I wondered if you accepted awards. You are one of my favorite places to visit and you deserve every acknowledgement for your wonderful blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. That flower is magnificent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That purple flower shot is lovely.

    (I'm running into space problems too....I thought it was just me!)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your butterfly photo...they do like that baseball, uh?
    I'm going to have to check out your favorite books...I haven't read any of them (perhaps Scarlet Letter many years ago)
    Blogger...ugh...I hastle with the spaces every day and it just seems to have a mind of its own/ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know the same about Blogger. It never posts the way that I lay it out.

    My favorite books are Cold Sassy Tree, anything by Billy Graham and Mary Higgins Clark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imagine finding that passion flower where you least expected it! I'm so glad you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the click to the eagle cam! I love that flower, I've never seen one like it before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The butterfly photo is IT ~ I love the surreal contrast between the two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the first shot! Great capture! Blogger has it's ups and downs doesn't it?!
    Have a fantastic weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You amaze by showing something that I've never seen before. Must be a great place to live indeed.

    With regard to books:
    'the unbareble lightness of being' and 'Don Quichote' are my all time favourites.

    Please have a good weekend you all.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pics! and yes i have terrible problems with the whole spacing thing, but i have found out if you check your post in Html before publishing you can make the spaces go away... you have to figure out how many times you have to hit the space button on your keyboard, but it does work.

    Good luck!
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this post! Gorgeous photos and fun information.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So LOVE Barbara Kingsolver! Once again beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pictures make me long for the warmer days of spring girl!!!

    They are fantastic...especially the butterfly shot..magnificent!

    Have a great day filled with warm wonderful blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "With the arrival of spring comes ball and trap shooting practice." Ball, I understand. Trap shooting practice? Yup, Farmchick, you and I have lived different lives. . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jack - My son shoots trap (skeet) at a competitive level. He loves it. However, I was not familiar with it until he became involved a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blogger always gives me a hard time when I post with photos. Don't know why that is.

    I love your photos, especially the butterflies on the baseball!

    Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your comments as much as you appreciate mine.

    Enjoy that spring of yours. I'm jealous. We're at least a month behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is always a pleasure and a surprise to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Life 'springs eternal'... I love that baseball shot with the butterflies. Reminds me, my favorite sport season returns in 3 weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the photo of the butterflies ascending over the baseball. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. have had problems with blogger lately too....love your photos...have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE your photographs. :) I grew up in the city, but have always loved to admire nature.

    If you get a minute, please check out my blog: adatingexperience.blogspot.com

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that photo of the butterflies and the baseball, what a contradiction! Happy Weekend from SC and thank you for all your sweet comments and sharing your talent with us in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That flower is beautiful, so glad you captured it! I'm familiar with some of the books but not all, which I will add to my list. Blogging has lead me to many wonderful reads! Blogger however, has definitely been testy lately. What IS up with that?

    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've always marveled on how the yellow butterflys seem to flock to certain things. First time I've seen them flock to a baseball :).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Poisonwood Bible is on my list to read, but haven't yet. I have read several others you mentioned. Regarding Blogger and its spacing (or lack of), I thought I was doing something wrong. Glad to know I'm in good company. :-) No solution, though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos AS always! Lovely!

    I am SOOO excited about the Passion Flower photo as my daughter took photos of this beautiful flower last summer and we did NOT know WHAT it is! I looked and looked and could not find a flower to match it and YOURS is the EXACT flower!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That baseball photo is amazing. That looks like an award winner to me! Thank you for the birthday wish! My two most favorite books "Neither Wolf, Nor Dog and Portrait of an Artist: A Biography of Georgia O'Keeffe

    ReplyDelete
  29. So refreshing and so cheerful, the flowers!

    Some of my all time favourite books are angels and demons, jonathan livingston seagull and short stories by Premchand.

    I thought I was only one having all those spacing problems, feels kind of good to know I am not alone! The extra spaces after full stops return an extra line sometimes, its really irritating.. the formatting takes a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Neat pics! Especially that passion flower. I don't believe I've ever seen one of those in person.
    As far as the books, most of my reading is done through blogs or my textbooks, so I don't have much to say on that subject right now. Although I do love to read myself to sleep at night.
    Can't help you with the Blogger issue, since I only know Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A most unusual post. When I first saw the butterfly image, I thought it was a plant. It shows how the mind plays visual tricks on you. Thanks for the link to the Eagles nest, I'll have to keep watching it.

    ReplyDelete