Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Peanut Butter Cake......yes, for real.

Ahhhh.....peanut butter.  The divine food that, if stranded on a desert island, would be the one  item I would wish for.  I find that it is really best when eaten straight from the jar, with a large spoon and a tall glass of milk to go with it.  

If you don't have the fortitude to eat it straight from the jar, then I strongly suggest that you bake it in the following cake.  Seriously.  The recipe comes from The Blue Willow Inn Bible of Southern Cooking and my family has already requested another cake....and soon.  

I am going to pass along the recipe straight from the book, however I used two 9-inch cake pans and cooking spray with excellent results.   I also used self-rising flour without a problem.    




Peanut Butter Cake 

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Grease and sprinkle with sugar three cake pans.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  For the cake, in a large mixing bowl beat the shortening, peanut butter, and sugar.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  In a separate bowl combine the flour with the baking soda, and add to the mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating after each addition.  Add the vanilla and mix well.  Pour the batter into the prepared pans.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and after the cakes have cooled for 5-10 minutes, remove them from the pans to a cooling rack.  
Peanut Butter Frosting

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter, creamy or chunky as desired
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
milk, as needed 
In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla extract,  adding just enough milk to make a creamy, spreadable frosting.  Frost the layers as you add them one on top of the other and then frost the sides and top of the cake. 
Delicious, I am telling you.

32 comments:

  1. very nice blog :) like the design
    check mine too, think you might like it http://ikjunj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe I just had this cake for the first time just three weeks ago?! And you're right -- it's WONDERFUL.

    Have printed the recipe. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, I must make this cake. Never heard of peanut butter cake but, I have no doubt my gluten free flour will work great with this recipe. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic..I wish I had some for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a peanut butter eating husband. It's his favorite food and I am going to make this cake for him this week. He'll be so happy! Thanks for sharing. I'm so hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peanut butter? This must mean that I can have this for lunch instead of a PB&J!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...sounds/looks good. Wish I hadn't suddenly developed so many darn food allergies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Question: How moist is the cake? Peanut butter it thick and sticks easily, so I wonder how the cake actually turns out when it comes to texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love peanut butter...but I've never had a cake...sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a PB addict. Good grief - you HAD to post this, didn't you! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore peanut butter and cake so this should be a winner! My only question is you said to prepare 3 cake pans but I only see 2 layers.. ? I bet my grandsons would love this! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH NO! How could you do this to me?! CAKE is my biggest weakness... and this one looks so wonderful that I may have to break down and bake one. That peanut butter icing would be awesome on a chocolate cake as well.. Oh my. This is not good diet food... but it sure is great comfort food. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teresa - The original recipe calls for three cake pans, but does not specify their size. I have two 9-inch round cake pans and used those with good results.

    *I am guessing that the recipe is calling for 8-inch pans which are a more standard size.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Livingdemise - The cake is actually just as moist as regular cake. You get all of the great flavor of PB, but not the stickiness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...and this is why redheads are dangerous... I know... I married one... she looked at the recipe... she said, "NO, you'll end up eating the whole thing"...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a little difficult to swallow... don't mind peanut butter on something, ,like bread or wafer but a cake will be very different !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am trying this one soon. Hubby and I both love PB. I have a great PB frosting I put on Chocolate cake. I have gotten some really good recipes from you.
    Your new header has some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am trying this one soon. Hubby and I both love PB. I have a great PB frosting I put on Chocolate cake. I have gotten some really good recipes from you.
    Your new header has some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. peanut butter is always in my hurricane survival it...I too enjoy it best right out of the jar

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wonder if there is a diet version! It looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I eat massive amounts of peanut butter. It's kind of ridiculous, really.

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUM! I think it needs served with chocolate ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Farmchick,hope you'all are OK! Oh my, I will have to taste this...some more baking to be done!! Thanx for sharing,never knew there was such a thing as a peanut butter cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! That sounds decadent! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This can't be real: it is a dream...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds great! I'm a eat-from-the-jar gal too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG...A warm peanut butter cake and a tall glass of milk...just can't beat it!!
    My grandkids love PBcake.

    Hugs,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  28. YUM! I just added this to my Recipes to Try board on Pinterest! I'm going to be a busy baker this winter when things slow down!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my gosh...I love peanut butter too...straight out of the jar with a big spoon yummy...gonna have to try this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just catching up because I've been off world.....er drugged out of my gourd for the past week. Just stole thus recipe and the one for 7-Up Biscuits. Thank you, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete